Sweet Mouthfuls / Bocconotti Dolci
MAKES ABOUT 5 DOZEN
Bocconotti translates to “mouthfuls” or “bites”. This traditional half-moon-shaped cookie with a cake-like texture is filled with grape jam and chocolate. The recipe comes from my friend Domenica Baglioni Flamminj, a chef who lives in Teramo in the region of Abruzzi.
- DOUGH10 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 Grated zest oflemon
- 3 2/3 cups King Arthur™ Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking sodaFILLING2/3 cup grape jam
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted almonds (3 oz.)
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- DIRECTIONSIn a bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light-colored. Beat in the egg and then the egg yolks one at a time. Beat in the lemon zest.
- Sift the flour with the baking soda over the egg mixture, stirring it in with a wooden spoon. The dough will be very soft. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease two cookie sheets. In a bowl, combine the filling ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Divide the dough in half. On a floured surface, roll out each half to a thickness of ¼ inch. Using a 2 ¼-inch round cookie cutter, cut out circles from the dough. Place a generous teaspoon of the filling on one half of each circle and fold the other half over to enclose the filling. Press the edges closed with a fork dipped in flour, and place the cookies 1 inch apart on the cookie sheets. Reroll the scraps to make more cookies.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are lightly browned. Remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Dust the cooled cookies with confectioners' sugar.
This recipe was featured on Season 7 - Episode 713.
No comments on this recipe.