Sweet or Hot Pickled Vegetables / Giardiniera Arrabiata o Dolce
- Basic Vegetables
- 1 lb green Italian olives, crushed
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced (or 1 cup tiny pearl onions, peeled)
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thin
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1 stalk celery, sliced diagonally
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup broccoli floret (optional, omit in hot version)
- 1/2 red bell peppers, quartered and sliced
- 1/4 cup hot peppers (or less to taste for hot version only)
- Sweet Version
- 1/2 cup white vinegar or dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon dry dill weed
- Hot Version
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 servings
- Sweet: Combine all ingredients and refrigerate in a clean, tightly closed glass jar for 2 days before serving.
- Hot: Combine the water, vinegar, and salt in a pan and boil for a minute or so.
- Pour the hot mixture over the vegetables leaving 1/4 inch head space and cover.
- Allow the hot peppers and vegetables to pickle in a cool place for 2 to 3 weeks before
Dorothy A Beaulieu
Can you can this treat? I would like to make more than 4 servings. I use it in my macaroni salad recipe with tuna and ranch dressing instead of mayo. Thanks
Trying to find your hot pepper in olive oil Looked on everything. Help. Thank you
Just wondering if you ever can the Giardiniera? Now that all the fresh vegetables are plentiful I would love to preserve this tasty treat for winter.