Tomato and Onion Frittata
SERVES 4 TO 6
This frittata is made from the simple ingredients that can be found in any Italian pantry or kitchen. It’s quick to put together, since all the vegetables are chopped finely for fast cooking. Add a salad and crusty bread and you have a complete meal!
- 3 tablespoons Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion, mix of red and white onion preferred
- 1/4 cup sweet red pepper, finely diced
- 1 small hot red pepper or to taste, finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Pinch of salt
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 4 minutes or until the onions are transparent. Add the sweet and hot pepper, and the tomatoes; cook for 2 to 3 minutes and let cool in the pan.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat in the cheese and salt. Add the cooled sautéed onions to the egg mixture and stir well. Wipe out the frying pan with a paper towel and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the pan. Heat the oil and then pour the egg mixture into the pan. Cover and cook for 5 or 6 minutes. When the liquid is set and the frittata moves easily in the pan, put a large plate over the pan and flip the frittata out onto the plate. Add another teaspoon of olive oil to the pan and carefully slip the frittata back in to cook the other side. Cover and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Slide the frittata onto a serving platter; slice into wedges and serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Season 26 - Episode 2617.
No comments on this recipe.