Torta Margherita alla Crema di Caffe'
Serves 8 to 12
- 6 large eggs, separated
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Grated zest and juice of one large lemon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup King Arthur all-purpose flour
- Pastry Cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons strong coffee (espresso)
- 3 squares orounces semisweet chocolate, grated and melted
- For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a parchment-lined 9-inch round by 2-inch deep cake pan and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks with the confectioners’ sugar and the lemon zest and juice until light and fluffy looking. The batter will be stiff.
- Sift the potato starch and flour together and gently fold into the batter with a spatula.
- In a separate bowl whip the egg whites with the salt until soft peaks form, then fold the mixture into the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean and the cake is golden brown; it will collapse slightly as it cools.
- For the pastry cream
- In a medium size saucepan whisk the eggs with the sugar and flour off the heat. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook the mixture over medium heat until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Off the heat stir in the vanilla, chocolate and coffee until well blended.
- Transfer to a bowl; cover with buttered wax paper and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- When cool, cut the cake into two layers and place one on a serving dish and spread the filling evenly over the cake. Place the second half on top and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- When ready to serve, cover the top with a thin layer of confectioners’ sugar with a coffee spoon design.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
This recipe was featured on Season 23 - Episode 2302.