Tuna with Herbs / Tonno all'Erbe
While fish has become prohibitively expensive in Italy, it remains a very popular item in the markets and on most restaurant menus. Tuna, swordfish, and salmon are particularly good choices for this easy preparation and one that you can get ready the night before. A hot cast-iron skillet cooks the fish best; if you do not have one, use a frying pan or alternately cook the fish on a hot grill.
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 3 tablespoons Lemon-Flavored Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds tuna steak, cut into 4 pieces
- 8 basil leaves, shredded
- Mince the garlic and thyme together and mix it with the oil and salt and pepper. Spread the marinade in a glass casserole dish large enough to hold the fish in a single layer. Place the fish on top and turn to coat on both sides. Marinate the fish, covered, for 2 hours, turning the pieces occasionally.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet, large enough to hold the fish in a single layer, until very hot. Add the fish and cook over high heat about 2 1/2 minutes on each side.
- Sprinkle the basil on top and serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Season 20 - Episode 2013.
No comments on this recipe.