Upside Down Peach Tart
This is a wonderful, moist and easy to make upside down peach tart from the Piedmont region of Italy. Crushed amaretti cookies give added flavor to both the batter and the crust.
Makes one 9 x 2-inch deep round cake
- For the cookie crust
- 22 amaretti cookies
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- For the cake
- 4 large peaches, blanched forminute, peeled, pitted and cut intoinch slices
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 Grated rind oforange
- 1 tablespoon orange extract or liquor
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9 x 2 inch deep round cake pan. Line with parchment paper and butter the paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor, grind 8 amaretti cookies until they are crumbs and set aside. Add the remaining cookies to the food processor along with the sugar, almonds and butter. Pulse until the nuts are finely ground. Press the mixture into the bottom of the cake pan. Refrigerate.
- For the batter
- Combine the 1/2 cup sugar and butter in a bowl and beat well with a hand mixer. Add the eggs, flour sifted with the salt, baking powder and cinnamon, then the milk, zest and extract one at a time, continuing to mix the batter well for 1 minute.
- Fold in the remaining amaretti cookie crumbs.
- Arrange the peaches over the almond cookie crust in an overlapping design leaving just a little space between the fruit and the sides of the pan.
- Pour the batter slowly over the peaches.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cake begins to come away from the sides of the pan, is soft to the touch but golden in color.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Unmold it onto a round serving platter. Carefully remove and discard the parchment paper. Cut into wedges to serve.
- This cake is best served warm with vanilla gelato or whipped cream.
This recipe was featured on Season 22 - Episode 2206.