Very Merry Minty Christmas Cookies
Making these fun-to-look at, as well as eat, cookies will put you in the Christmas spirit.
- 2 sticks butter at room temperature
- 1 scant cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 small shakes red food coloring
- 2 small shakes green food coloring
- Combine the butter and sugar in a stand mixer and beat together until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and peppermint extracts and beat in to combine well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking powder together and on medium speed blend into the butter mixture until well combined.
- Remove half the dough and set aside. To the dough remaining in the mixer, blend in the red food coloring and mix until the dough is a uniform color. Remove from bowl and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least a couple of hours.
- Wipe out bowl; add the remaining half dough and mix in the green food coloring and mix until well combined. Remove from mixer, wrap and refrigerate at least a couple of hours.
- Roll the red dough out into a 14 x 12 inch rectangle on a floured board or between sheets of parchment paper. Refrigerate covered.
- Roll the green dough into a 14 x 12 inch rectangle on a floured surface between two sheets of parchment paper. Refrigerate covered.
- Place the red dough on a flat work surface and then the green dough over it. Trim edges so doughs are even.
- Starting from side nearest you, roll the doughs up like a jelly-roll to form a long log. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate several hours or overnight. When ready to bake, heat oven to 350F.
- Unwrap log and cut into ¼ inch thick rounds and space them ½ inch apart on lightly buttered baking sheets or on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake until firm but not brown. Cool on racks.
- Makes about 4 ½ dozen