Whole Wheat Spaghetti and Clams in White Sauce / Spaghetti alle Vongole con Pasta Integrale e Salsa Bianca
Whole wheat pasta is very much in vogue these days and this easy to prepare spaghetti with clams is a take-off on the more traditional dish made with regular pasta. Be sure to inspect the clams you buy; avoid those that feel heavy r are cracked. These are dead clams.
- 4 pounds small clams in their shells, soaked and scrubbed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large leek, cleaned and cut into thin rings
- 1 dried red pepper, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups clam juice
- 2 cups diced fresh plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt to taste
- Grinding Black pepper
- 1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Place the clams in a large sauté pan and add the wine. Cover the pan and bring the mixture slowly to a boil; as soon as the clam shells open, drain them in a colander over a bowl.
- Remove the clams from their shells and set aside.
- Strain the clam broth and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in the same sauté pan; stir in the leeks and cook them until they wilt; stir in the red pepper and cook a couple of minutes. Season the leeks with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the reserved clam juice and the tomatoes. Stir in the butter. Correct seasoning. Stir in the clams and the strained broth. Keep the sauce warm while the pasta cooks.
- Drain the pasta and transfer it to the pan with the clam sauce. Combine the ingredients well over medium heat. Sprinkle on the parsley and serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 18 - Episode 1820.
No comments on this recipe.