Agretti Salad/Insalata di Agretti
A wild springtime green, agretti is also known as salsola soda and barba del frate. This annual has long, chive-like foliage and a strong taste and is not only a healthy and classic salad, it can also be braised in olive oil and served as a side with seafood, or incorporated into a frittata.
- 1 bunch agretti
- 4 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large grapefruit
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- Salt to taste
- Shavings of Montasio cheese
- Soak the agretti in a bowlful of water for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile bring 3 cups of water to a boil and add salt. Add the agretti and cook for about 5 minutes over low heat.
- Drain and plunge the leaves into ice water.
- Cut and peel one grapefruit into sections
- Squeeze the juice from the other grapefruit.
- In a bowl whisk 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil with the grapefruit juice. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
- Spin dry the agretti leaves and place them in a salad bowl. Pour dressing over them and mix well. Add the grapefruit sections and toss again. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds and cheese shavings and serve.
- This salad can also be served raw.
This recipe was featured on Season 24 - Episode 2412.