Asparagus and Red Pepper Salad / Insalata di Asparagi e Peperoni Rossi
Make this roasted asparagus and sweet red pepper salad early in the day to allow the flavors to mingle. This salad is very versatile: Serve as part of an antipasto table or instead of a mixed green salad.
- 4 sweet red bell peppers (about 2 pounds )
- 2 pounds asparagus, stalks trimmed
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup pitted oil cured black olives, cut in half
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Preheat the broiler. Place the peppers on a broiler pan and broil, turning, until blackened all over. Remove the peppers to a dish and let cool. Peel, core, and seed the peppers, and cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Brush a cookie sheet with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Place the asparagus on the sheet and turn to coat with the oil. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, until a knife is easily inserted in the stalk.
- Transfer the asparagus to a cutting board, and cut crosswise in half. Place on a platter and add the pepper strips. Combine the remaining olive oil, the balsamic vinegar, and salt, and pour over the salad. Sprinkle the olives over the salad. Cover and let marinate at room temperature for several hours before serving.