Baby Squid in Spicy Tomato Broth / Calamaretti in Brodo al Pomodoro Piccante
- 32 Twoounce can whole plum tomatoes or the equivalent in fresh plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium leek, cleaned and cut into thin rounds
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 pounds small size (no more than 6 inches) squid, cleaned and cut into rings
- 1 teaspoon or more hot red pepper flakes
- 1 pound small shrimp
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Put the tomatoes through a food mill or a sieve set over a large bowl to remove seeds and skins; set juice aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 2 quart sauce pan and stir in the leeks. Cook them until they soften, then remove to a dish and set aside to use as a garnish.
- Add remaining oil to the same pan and cook the onion until soft. Stir in the garlic and continue cooking until the garlic is soft. Raise the heat to high and pour in the wine. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and stir in the squid, red pepper flakes and cook the mixture for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in 4 cups of the reserved tomato juice. Keep rest for another use. Stir ingredients well. Cover pan and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover pan and continue cooking for 10-12 minutes or until squid is tender. 5 minutes before squid are done, stir in the shrimp, salt, celery salt, oregano and lemon juice.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with some of the reserved leeks.
This recipe was featured on Season 16 - Episode 1609.
No comments on this recipe.