Beans with Mint / Fagiolini alla Menta
My Grandmother Galasso loved to make salads of tender young green beans and mint. She put mint in just about everything, mainly because it grew so profusely in a little patch of dirt near the kitchen door. The trick to this salad is to use very young green beans and to put the beans into the dressing while they are still hot so they will absorb the mint-infused oil.
- 1/3 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound tender green beans
- 1 tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- In a 9-X-12-inch nonmetal dish, whisk all the dressing ingredients together. Set aside.
- Trim the beans. Put them in a large pot and add cold water to cover. Add the olive oil, bring to a boil, and boil until al dente, about 10 minutes. The beans should still have a little bite to them.
- Drain, and immediately add the beans to the dressing, turning and coating them well. Cover the dish and let the beans marinate for several hours at room temperature before serving.