Bread Salad / Panzanella
1 cup coarsely chopped plum or cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
6 slices stale bread
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
1/2 cup seeded and diced sweet green pepper
1/2 cup diced fennel bulb
1 cup seeded and diced cucumber
2 tablespoons capers in brine, drained and minced
1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 6 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Fine sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- Place the tomatoes in a small bowl, stir in the sugar, and set aside.
- Dip the pieces of bread in a bowl of water, making sure to moisten them thoroughly. Squeeze out the excess water with your hands and crumble the bread into bite-size pieces into a salad bowl. Add all the remaining salad ingredients, including the tomatoes.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small jar, cover, and shake well. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss to combine well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the salad macerate at room temperature for several hours before serving.
No comments on this recipe.