Breakfast Rolls / Gialetti or Zaletti
A specialty of Romagna eaten for breakfast or as a snack with wine.
Makes 2 dozen 2 x 2 inch buns
- INGREDIENTS21 ounces cornmeal (3 1/2 -4 cups )
- 12 ounces King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour (3 cups )
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 11 ounces butter, melted and cooled (3 sticks minus 1 tablespoon )
- 7 ounces sugar (1 cup )
- 1/2 cup diced raisins previously soaked
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 Zest oflarge lemon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- milk as needed (1/2- 2/3 cup )
- Confectioners sugar
- DIRECTIONSMix the cornmeal, flour and baking powder together and stir in softened butter, sugar, raisins, salt, nuts, zest, vanilla and enough milk to make a dough that holds together and is not dry.
- Pinch off pieces of dough to make small balls the size of a small apricot. Place them on buttered sheets and bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned . When warm roll in confectioners sugar.
This recipe was featured on Season 14 - Episode 1425.