Cardoon and Raisin Salad / Insalata di Cardi e Uvette
Here’s a very different salad using cardoons and raisins. It comes from Sardinia and is a favorite of my Sardinian friends, Mario and Giulia Cocco.
- 1 pound cardoons, washed
- 2 Juice oflemons or equal amount of red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped raisins
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Cut off one of the stalks near the base of the cardoon, just above the point where the stalk widens. Be careful of the prickers.
- Use a knife to remove any small leaves at the top of the stalk.
- Peel and remove the strings from the stalks. Cut the stalks into 2 inch long pieces and place them in a bowl in lemon juice immediately to prevent discoloration.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add cardoons and boil them until tender; depending on how thick and how fresh the cardoons are, this can take from fifteen to thirty minutes.
- Drain in a colander and quickly rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Dry on paper towels.
- In a rectangular glass dish combine the garlic, olive oil, raisins, cinnamon and salt. Add the cardoons and turn in the oil mixture. Cover and allow to marinate several hours before serving.
This recipe was featured on Season 20 - Episode 2018.
No comments on this recipe.