Carrot Salad / Insalata di Carote
Serves 8 to 10
Crisp-tender carrots marinated with shallots, roasted sweet yellow peppers, and raspberry-mint vinegar make an eye-appealing salad for a picnic or spring luncheon.
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch-long matchstick pieces
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Raspberry-Mint Vinegar or other fruit-flavored vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 head red leaf or curly green lettuce, leaves separated, washed, and dried
- Preheat the broiler. Place the pepper on the broiler pan and broil it, turning, until the skin is blackened all over. Place the pepper in a paper bag and let cool. When cool, peel, core, and seed the pepper and cut into thin strips. Place the pepper strips in a glass dish large enough to hold the carrots.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the carrots and cook until just tender. Drain well and add to the peppers.
- Add the shallots and mint, then add the olive oil, vinegar, and sugar and toss gently to coat the carrots and peppers with the dressing. Cover the dish and let marinate for several hours at room temperature, or overnight in the refrigerator (bring to room temperature before serving).
- To serve, line a platter with the lettuce leaves. Arrange the carrot salad on top.
This recipe was featured on Season 8 - Episode 810.
No comments on this recipe.