Caulibroc, Cauliflower and Potato Salad
Cauliflower is called broccolo in Sicily and is in season from October all winter long. In this recipe, it is combined with caulibroc, a cross between broccoli and cauliflower and potatoes for a delicious side dish. To maximize retaining the most vitamins (A and C) steam instead of boiling the vegetables.
- 1 small head cauliflower, washed, cored and separated into florets
- 1 small head caulibroc or broccoli, washed, cored and separated into florets
- 5 Yukon Gold or red skin potatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted black oil cured olives
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Steam the cauliflower and caulibroc until a knife easily pierces the stem. Drain and set aside.
- Microwave the potatoes until a knife easily pierces them. Cool. Peel. Slice into 1/4-inch thick rounds and then dice them.
- Pour the olive oil into a salad dish or bowl. Whisk in the lemon juice and thyme.
- Toss the cauliflower, caulibroc, potatoes and olives in the oil and salt and pepper them to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish; serve at room temperature.
This recipe was featured on Season 23 - Episode 2303.