Cauliflower Frittata / Frittata di Cavolfiori
Serves 6 to 8
Cauliflower Frittata is one of my reserve recipes for busy holiday cooking days. The florets are cooked in olive oil, then combined with onions, eggs, and cheese. Bits of dried tomatoes and parsley give it a Christmas look. Add a salad and bread and dinner is ready.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds ), washed and cut into small florets
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup diced Dried Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat ¼ cup of the olive oil. Add the onions and cook until they begin to soften. Add the cauliflower and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Cover the pan, lower the heat to medium-low, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove the onions and cauliflower to a dish, and set the pan aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, cheese, tomatoes, and parsley together. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cauliflower mixture and blend well.
- Set the skillet over medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the frittata mixture, distributing the cauliflower evenly in the pan. Cook until the frittata holds together when the skillet is shaken.
- Place a large dish or a pizza oven over the top of the skillet and invert the frittata onto the dish. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet, slip the frittata back into the pan, and cook until lightly browned on the bottom. Turn the frittata out onto a serving plate, cut into wedges, and serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Season 8 - Episode 808.