Cherries don’t stay long in the market, so while they are still available make this fast and delicious claflouti, a rustic looking French pancake type of dessert. Other fruits can be used as well; try it with blueberries or raspberries.
- 2 ½ cups pitted fresh cherries, cut in half
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup light cream
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 375F
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 9 or 10-inch cast iron skillet or other oven proof-skillet. Brush the evenly with the butter and arrange the cherries cut side down in the pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, extract and salt together until smooth. Whisk in the flour until combined and pour the mixture evenly over the cherries.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and puffed looking.
- Remove from oven; the claflouti will collapse as it cools.
- When still warm, sprinkle with confectioners sugar and cut into wedges to serve.