Chicken and Fontina Cheese Casserole
Serves 6 to 8
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grinding coarse black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 pounds chicken cutlets, each pound ed 1/4 inch thick
- 3/4 cup sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, stemmed and cut in half
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 1/2 pound Fontina cheese
- 1/4 pound prosciutto di Parma cut into 2-inch strips
- 2 tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a plastic bag; close to shake the ingredients together. Add the chicken cutlets a few at a time and dredge them in the flour; shake off the excess. Place the cutlets on a plate and set aside.
- Pour the oil into a large sauté pan and heat to medium high. Brown the cutlets on each side a few at a time until browned.
- Transfer the cutlets to a large shallow casserole dish and set aside.
- In the same sauté pan, melt the butter and cook the mushrooms until they give off their liquid and begin to brown.
- Combine the cream and Fontina cheese in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Cover and set aside. (At this point all may be refrigerated, if preparing in advance)
- Sprinkle the mushrooms over the cutlets. Lay the prosciutto strips over the mushrooms and pour the cheese sauce over the top.
- Place the tomato slices over the sauce and sprinkle the dish with the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and browned.
- Serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 22 - Episode 2220.