Chicken Pot Pie with Vegetables / Torta di Pollo e Verdure
Think of a classic chicken pot pie without the crust when making this casserole that is perfect for a Sunday night supper, company, or as part of a buffet. Arborio rice is Italian short grain rice used to make risotto; if it is unavailable, use long grain rice.
- 1 - 1/2 pounds organic whole boneless chicken breast
- 8 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese, well drained
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups cooked Arborio rice (1/4 cup raw)
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt to taste
- Grinding of black pepper
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup toasted bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat the bottom and sides of a 9-inch spring form pan with oil or cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place chicken in single layer in large saucepan and add enough water to cover the chicken by 1/2 inch. Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer, and cover. Poach the chicken for 12 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the ricotta cheese until smooth. Beat in the milk and eggs until well combined. Cut the cooled chicken into bite-sized pieces. Add the chicken, rice, cheese, onion, pepper, parsley, basil, oregano, crushed pepper, salt, pepper, and zucchini to the egg mixture. Blend well.
- Spread the mixture into the pan and place it on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Scatter the bread crumbs over the top and continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes or until the center is firm.
- Cool slightly; place on a serving dish and remove the side and bottom of the pan. Serve warm.
This recipe was featured on Season 18 - Episode 1804.