Chicken with Orzo, Spinach and Lemon
Chicken breasts are so versatile! I never tire of the different variations possible. And this one is both easy and quick and a complete meal for busy cooks.
- 1 1/2 cups orzo cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 10 Oneounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well squeezed
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Grinding coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons capers in salt, well rinsed and minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 2/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Combine the orzo with 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Stir in 1/4 cup of the lemon juice. Salt to taste. Stir in the chopped spinach and 1/2 cup of cheese. Cover, set aside and keep warm. Or make ahead and reheat in the microwave when ready to serve.
- Place each piece of chicken between two sheets of wax paper and use a meat pounder to thin them to about 1/4 inch thickness. Mix the flour, salt and pepper together on a dish and dip each breast into the flour mixture, coating well on both sides and shaking off the excess. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large non stick skillet and brown the chicken, adding more olive oil as needed. Transfer them to a dish as they brown and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan and stir in the onion; cook until the onion wilts down, about 3 minutes. Add the capers and cook 1 minute. Stir in the wine, raise the heat to high and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in lemon juice and zest and cook over medium heat until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Return the chicken cutlets to the pan and heat gently until hot.
- Make a bed of the orzo mixture on a serving platter. Place the chicken breasts over the orzo and pour the sauce over the top. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and serve.
This recipe was featured on Season 20 - Episode 2003.