Chocolate Cake / Torta al Cioccolato
MAKES ONE 9-INCH CAKE
I make this dense chocolate cake dotted with chopped hazelnuts frequently because it is a good keeper…but it rarely lasts long. Cut it in small wedges and serve it with espresso. For best results, lightly spoon the flour into your measuring cup; do not pack it in.
- INGREDIENTS1 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur™ Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- DIRECTIONSPreheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place the nuts on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for about 5 minutes. Watch carefully so they do not burn. Cool the nuts, then coarsely chop them and set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream 1 cup butter with the sugar until lemon colored. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating each in completely. Add the vanilla and continue to beat a few seconds more.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, and baking powder together. Using an electric mixer, gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Fold in the nuts and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt until very stiff. With a rubber spatula, fold the egg whites a little at a time into the egg mixture until no streaks of white remain.
- With the remaining tablespoon of butter, grease a deep 9 1/2-inch springform pan, then dust the pan with flour, shaking out the excess. Spread the batter in the pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Carefully release the sides of the pan, remove the bottom, and let cake cool on a rack.
- When ready to serve, dust the cake with confectioner's sugar.
This recipe was featured on Season 6 - Episode 607.