Eggplant Pie / Tortino di Melanzane
Here is an easy recipe for an eggplant casserole as it is done in Emilia-Romagna using one of its principal products, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. This casserole is not to be confused with eggplant Parmigiano, which is a dish from Campania which uses fresh mozzarella as well as Parmesan cheese.
- INGREDIENTS2 medium size eggplants (about 2 pounds )
- 1 cup King Arthur™ Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour for dredging, or more if necessary
- 1 1/2 cups prepared tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Salt to taste
- Grinding black pepper
- Vegetable oil or peanut oil for frying
- DIRECTIONSPreheat the oven to 350°F.
- Peel the eggplant and cut it into long 1/4-inch slices. Flour and fry them in peanut oil. Drain the slices on brown paper.
- Pour a thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of an 8 by 12-inch casserole dish. Make a layer of eggplant slices over the sauce. Sprinkle on about 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese. Make additional layers in the same manner, ending with Parmesan cheese.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with a little salt and pepper, 1 teaspoon of the tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon of the Parmesan cheese and the bread crumbs. Spread over the top of the casserole and bake, uncovered, until hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Note: If you prefer not to fry the eggplant slices, they may be baked on a cookie sheet that has been coated with olive oil spray.
- Note: We use the Tomato and Basil Sauce recipe in this dish.
This recipe was featured on Season 14 - Episode 1403.
No comments on this recipe.