Escarole Salad with Mustard Dressing / Insalata di Scarola
Escarole (scarola) is a bitter green belonging to the chicory family. As a salad green, it is often passed over in favor of the less interesting and less nutritious iceberg lettuce. There is one thing I have learned about leafy greens, the darker the color, the better it is for you True, escarole needs care and attention to the dirt lurking in its leaves, but several soakings in cold water does the trick. Crunchy escarole leaves are perfect for this salad with a tangy mustard vinaigrette.
- 1/2 teaspoon dry English mustard
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head escarole, leaves separated, soaked in water and spun dry
- Break the leaves into small pieces and place them in a salad bowl. Whisk the mustard, olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar and sugar until well blended. Pour the dressing over the leaves and toss well.
This recipe was featured on Season 20 - Episode 2012.