Farro Salad from Tuscany / Insalata di Farro
SERVES 4 TO 6
Wednesday night is pizza night at Spannocchia, when the outdoor wood burning oven is fired up and farmhands and guests sit at long communal wooden tables to enjoy gorgonzola and pear pizza, eggplant pizza, four cheese pizza, and even hot dog and pineapple pizza! They also help themselves to farro salad made from the farro grown in the campo (field) on the farm. It is delicious and nutritious.
- 1 cup farro
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup shredded arugula leaves
- Grated pecorino cheese
- The fast way to cook farro is to cover it with water the night before you plan to cook it; next day drain off the water and put the farro in a 1-quart saucepan. Cover it with fresh water and cook until it is tender but not mushy. This will take about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Farro can be cooked without pre-soaking but will need a longer cooking time, about 30 minutes.
- Pour the olive oil over the farro and mix it well to coat the grains. Stir in the salt and vinegar. Divide the farro among 4 salad plates. Sprinkle the arugula evenly among the plates. Place 4 tomato halves on each plate and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Pass more olive oil at the table to drizzle on top.
This recipe was featured on Season 17 - Episode 1710.
No comments on this recipe.