Fennel, Carrot, Apple and Parmesan Cheese Salad / Insalata di Finocchio, Carote, Mele e Parmigiano Reggiano
Fennel is considered a digestivo by Italians and is usually consumed raw after a meal. My take on this licorice tasting vegetable is to shave it thinly along with carrots and Parmigiano and apple, all tossed with a lemon oil and honey dressing.
SERVES 4 TO 6
- 1 medium sized fennel, trimmed, and bulb shaved
- 2 carrots, peeled and shaved
- 2 golden delicious apples, cut in half, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thin radicchio strips
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces
- Toast the walnut pieces in a 350°F oven for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the fennel, carrots, apples and radicchio.
- Whisk together:
- 4 tablespoons lemon flavored Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Salt to taste
- Drizzle this dressing over the salad and toss well. Salt the salad to taste. Transfer the mixture to a shallow platter and sprinkle the cheese and nuts over the top. Serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Season 18 - Episode 1818.