Fried Cases / Cassoni Fritti
This preparation is found all over Emilia-Romagna and is usually made in the wintertime.
MAKES 3 DOZEN
- 3 cups King Arthur™ Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Milk as needed for the dough (4 to 5 tablespoons )
- 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil or 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 pounds spinach, cooked, squeezed dry and minced (about 2 cups )
- 3 ounces raisins, soaked in warm water, drained and minced (about 2/3 cup )
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Grinding black pepper
- 4 to 6 cups vegetable oil
- Combine the flour with the eggs and a pinch of salt. Make a dough that is soft but not sticking to your hands. Add a little milk if the dough seems dry. Cover the dough and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the butter or olive oil in a sauté pan and cook the onion until it is soft. Stir in the spinach and raisins and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Roll the dough out into a 26-inch diameter circle. Using a cookie cutter or inverted glass, cut 3-inch circles. Reroll the scraps to make additional circles. Place a small amount of the filling in the center of each circle. Fold the dough over to form a half-moon shape and seal the edges with a fork.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or heavy-duty pan until it registers 375F.
- Fry the cases, a few at a time, until nicely browned.
- Serve hot.