Garlic and Oil Sauce / Salsa di Aglio e Olio
The perfect sauce for when you’re rushed for time: as soon as your pasta finishes cooking, you will, too. .
- 2/3 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup minced fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 12 ounces spaghetti or linguine
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino cheese (optional)
- Heat the olive oil slowly in a sauté pan over low heat and when it begins to shimmer, add the garlic and cook gently until it becomes soft but not brown, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir in the salt and parsley, and cover the pan.
- Cook the pasta as directed and drain, reserving 1/3 cup of the cooking water. Add the water to the garlic and oil and stir to blend. Quickly mix in the cooked pasta. Transfer the pasta to a platter or bowl and serve immediately with a sprinkling of cheese if desired.
- Note: To have parsley on hand when you need it, wash and dry a large bunch. Take the leaves off the stems. Discard the stems and mince the leaves with a chef's knife. Wrap the parsley in paper towels, place in airtight sandwich bags, and freeze. Take out what you need as you need it. This saves having to throw out unused parsley that wilts and dries out in the refrigerator.
This recipe was featured on Season 18 - Episode 1801.