Green Bean, Leek and Almond Casserole
Serves 8 to 10
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 medium leeks, washed, fried, white bulb only, cut into thin rings
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups hot chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the beans in plenty of water to which 1 tablespoon of salt has been added. Drain when al dente and set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; add the leeks and cook them over medium heat until they are very soft and creamy. Add them to the bowl with the beans.
- Wipe out the saucepan and heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat; whisk in the flour to make a smooth paste. Slowly whisk in the broth and cook until the mixture thickens slightly. Stir in the lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the bean and leek mixture with the sauce and transfer to a baking dish.
- Top with the almonds and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Variation: You may cook the leeks in a tablespoon of olive oil until they are brown and crispy. Instead of adding them to the bean mixture, sprinkle them over the casserole for the final five minutes of baking.
This recipe was featured on Season 18 - Episode 1802.