Grilled Eggplant with Green Sauce / Melanzane alla Griglia con Salsa Verde
SERVES 6 TO 8
Even vegetables are cooked alla griglia (on the grill) in Umbria. Why not enjoy this eggplant salad in parsley sauce at your next cookout?
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup Filippo Berio Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for brushing the eggplant
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, or more to taste
- Grinding black pepper
- 1 medium (1 pound ) eggplant, washed and dried
- Fine sea salt
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the garlic and parsley. Drizzle in the 1 cup olive oil a little at a time with the motor running until a thick emulsion is formed. Season with the salt and pepper. Stir in the lemon juice. Transfer the sauce to a 9x12-inch rectangular dish and set aside.
- Preheat the grill for 5 minutes. If you do not have a grill, preheat your oven broiler.
- Cut off the stem top of the eggplant and discard. Cut the eggplant into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place the slices in a colander and liberally salt in between them. Allow the slices to "sweat" for 20 minutes to rid them of their excess water. Rinse and dry the slices. If using a grill, brush the eggplant lightly on both sides with olive oil and grill them turning once or twice until the slices soften and show grill marks. Transfer the slices to the dish with the parsley sauce and turn them in the sauce to coat them.
- If using the broiler, place the slices on a foil-lined grill pan; brush the slices with olive oil and broil them on both sides until the slices begin to soften and brown slightly. Transfer the slices to the dish with the parsley sauce.
- Cover the dish and allow the eggplant to marinate in the sauce at room temperature for at least an hour before serving.
- Serve with slices of crusty bread
This recipe was featured on Season 12 - Episode 1210.
No comments on this recipe.