Hazelnut Cake / Torta di Nocciole
Hazelnuts are one of the Piedmont’s popular ingredients and used in everything from fillings for meats and vegetables to desserts and puddings.
- 3 large eggs,separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 ounces unsalted butter,softened
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups ounces unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon bakingpowder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup ground hazelnuts
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling on cake
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter and breadcrumb a 9 inch cake pan and refrigerate it until baking time
- In a bowl beat the egg yolks with the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the butter and olive oil.
- Sift the flour,baking powder, and salt together, then slowly beat into the egg mixture. On lowspeed, mix in the milk and vanilla.
- Fold in the nuts. Set bowl aside.
- In a clean bowl, with clean beaters, beat the whites until soft peaks form; do not overbeat or the whites will be too hard to fold into the egg mixture. The whites should hold soft peaks and be shiny looking.
- Fold the white in three additions to the egg yolk mixture taking care not to deflate the batter.
- Pour the batter intothe prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until skewer inserted in thecenter of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Cut into wedges to serve with vanilla gelato or just plain
- Variation on decoration: Melt 2 ounces semisweet chocolate in a bowl over simmering water.Dip whole shelled hazelnuts in the chocolate and place in a decorative design on top of the cake.
No comments on this recipe.