Homemade Bread Crumbs
Makes 2 Cups
- ¼ cup Filippo Berio Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Coarsely ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- In a skillet, heat the oil and butter and mix well. Add the bread crumbs and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the crumbs absorb all the oil-butter mixture and are golden brown. Season with salt and pepper if desired, and remove the crumbs to a bowl. When cool, transfer the crumbs to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. They will keep for several months.
- Variation: Add minced fresh herbs such as parsley, oregano, and/or basil to the cooled crumbs. Bread crumbs containing herbs should be used within a week.
- Grated cheeses, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano, Pecorino, and Swiss, can also be added to bread crumbs, along with some hot red pepper flakes if you’d like.
No comments on this recipe.