Marinated Carrot, Caper and Sweet Red Pepper Salad / Insalata di Carote, Capperi e Peperoni
Here is a marinated carrot and red pepper salad that is as refreshing as a breezy summer’s day. Carrots are usually cooked as part of a battuto, a mince of flavorful vegetables like celery, onion and garlic that forms the life of a finished dish.
- MARINADE INGREDIENTS
- 1 1/3 cup Filippo Berio olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers, preferably salt-cured, well rinsed and drained
- Salad ingredients
- 4 large carrots, washed, peeled and cut into 2-inch long matchstick pieces
- 2 large sweet red bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into thin 2-inch long strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel, white bulb only
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced mint
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a 9 x 12 rectangular glass casserole dish. Mix well. Set aside.
- Fill a large (12 to 14-inch) sauté pan 3/4 full with water. Add the carrots and 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil and cook until a knife tip easily pierces the carrots. Drain in a colander and transfer them to the dish with the marinade. Toss well.
- Add thepepper strips, and fennel and toss again. Let stand at least an hour, tossing occasionally to meld the flavors. Just before serving toss the salad with the parsley and mint.
- Serve room temperature.
- Chef’s secret: Vinegar based marinade should never be placed in metal as the acid can pick up a metallic taste. Stick with glass or ceramic.
This recipe was featured on Season 20 - Episode 2009.
When I was reading the ingredient list, I was thinking of not cooking the carrots, but after reading Mary’s comment about the carrots being sweeter when they are cooked, I’m trying that.
This is my second request for ricotta torte with roasted red peppers because I’ not sure I submitted the first correctly. I saw Mary Ann making this torte and it looked fabulous. I would like to make it for Easter for my son who would love this. Thanking you in advance, PLEASE email this wonderful torte recipe to me. By the way, we love your show. Many thanks again, Liz MacPherson
This sounds wonderful, fresh and something new? Can’t wait to try it
Love this..i love fennel.Im going to toss some plump shrimp in and make this my main course.. 💜
This salad sounds like a keeper! A lot of people just eat carrots raw, but carrots taste so different with cooking or marinating. Just think of the great nutrition in this colorful salad :-).