Marinated Carrot, Caper and Sweet Red Pepper Salad / Insalata di Carote, Capperi e Peperoni
Here is a marinated carrot and red pepper salad that is as refreshing as a breezy summer’s day. Carrots are usually cooked as part of a battuto, a mince of flavorful vegetables like celery, onion and garlic that forms the life of a finished dish.
- MARINADE INGREDIENTS
- 1 1/3 cup Filippo Berio olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers, preferably salt-cured, well rinsed and drained
- Salad ingredients
- 4 large carrots, washed, peeled and cut into 2-inch long matchstick pieces
- 2 large sweet red bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into thin 2-inch long strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel, white bulb only
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced mint
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a 9 x 12 rectangular glass casserole dish. Mix well. Set aside.
- Fill a large (12 to 14-inch) sauté pan 3/4 full with water. Add the carrots and 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil and cook until a knife tip easily pierces the carrots. Drain in a colander and transfer them to the dish with the marinade. Toss well.
- Add thepepper strips, and fennel and toss again. Let stand at least an hour, tossing occasionally to meld the flavors. Just before serving toss the salad with the parsley and mint.
- Serve room temperature.
- Chef’s secret: Vinegar based marinade should never be placed in metal as the acid can pick up a metallic taste. Stick with glass or ceramic.
This recipe was featured on Season 20 - Episode 2009.