Mixed Green Salad / Misticanza
An Italian mixed green salad is not likely to include iceberg lettuce, known in Italy as crocantine or Braziliana. Rather the salad bowl is filled with a delightful mixture of bitter greens including chicory, escarole, dandelion greens, and crunchy radicchio and is anything but boring.
It is a work of edible art, a refreshing wake-up call for the palate, and a reminder that Italians know how to enjoy the bitter with the sweet.
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup washed and dried chicory leaves
- 1 cup washed and dried escarole leaves
- 1 cup washed and dried dandelion greens
- 1 cup washed and dried radicchio leaves
- Mix the salad dressing ingredients in a jar and set aside.
- Toss the greens together in a large salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the greens and toss well. Serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Season 13 - Episode 1310.