Mom's Favorite Chicken Cutlet and Broccoli Rabe Sandwich
A crisp chicken cutlet topped with sautéed broccoli rape and nestled between two slices of grainy toasted bread is as Italian as any panino gets. This is my mother¹s favorite sandwich, and mine too.
It is a satisfying diversion from the more predictable lunchtime sandwiches like ham and cheese and can quickly turn itself into a supper entree when paired with a green salad and a glass of Pinot Grigio.
It can also be served without the bread, in which case, I would definitely add a slice of melted Provolone cheese over the top! With or without the bread, this is a winner. Saving time. Keep a container of toasted bread crumbs in the refrigerator. Use egg beaters instead of cracking eggs and buy thinly sliced cutlets.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, stemmed, rinsed, dried, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Grinding black pepper
- 6 oil cured black olives, pitted and diced (optional)
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached, All-Purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- Grinding black pepper
- 4 thinly sliced chicken cutlets (1 pound )
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten or egg beater equivalent
- 1/2 cup toasted bread crumbs
- 8 slices good quality toasted bread
- 4 slices provolone cheese, optional
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 10-inch sauté pan. Stir in the onions and cook until softened. Stir in the broccoli rape and pepper flakes. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat for 2 or 3 minutes or until the broccoli rape wilts. Season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Transfer the broccoli rape to a small bowl. Stir in the olives. Cover and keep warm. Wipe out the pan and return to the stovetop
- Pour the flour in paper bag with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Coat each cutlet in the flour and transfer them to a plate. Coat each cutlet with the egg, then coat in bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and when it is hot, brown the cutlets quickly on each side. Transfer them to a dish as they cook.
- Top each of four bread slices with a cutlet and spread the broccoli rape on top of each. Top with the remaining bread slices. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
- Variation: Top the broccoli rape with slices of Provolone or mozzarella cheese and allow to melt before removing from the pan. Serve on a plate without the bread or just indulge in a total sandwich experience.
This recipe was featured on Season 15 - Episode 1522.