Neapolitan Stack Salad / Insalata Caprese
When the term caprese is applied to food, it means in the style of the sunny island of Capri, an idyllic island south of the Bay of Naples. Insalata Caprese is probably one of the most recognizable salads in the Italian repertoire. Fresh and creamy buffalo mozzarella cheese, made in areas around Naples, slightly greenish tomatoes, and the freshest basil are the components. It looks impressive when everything is stacked together and simply dressed with the best extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- 4 large plum tomatoes, each cut intoslices
- 2 8-ounce balls buffalo mozzarella or Fior di Latte cheese, each cut intoslices
- 16 whole basil leaves, stemmed
- 6 tablespoons Filippo Berio Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- One a platter make 4 stacks using 4 slices of tomatoes, 4 slices of mozzarella, and 4 basil leaves for each stack. Begin with a tomato slice, top it with a mozzarella slice, then a basil leaf, and repeat the process to make 3 more layers in each stack.
- In a small bowl whisk the oil with the vinegar and salt and drizzle it over the stacks.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Season 15 - Episode 1517.
No comments on this recipe.