Pear, Walnut, and Gorgonzola Salad
Serves 4 to 6
This is a wonderful salad to prepare when fresh pears are at their peak. To enhance the flavor of the walnuts, you may toast them on an oiled cookie sheet for 5 minutes at 350ºF. The dressing can be made with the oil of your preference, but I like the flavor of canola oil when it is combined with the other ingredients.
- 3 cups mixed salad greens, washed and spun or patted dry
- 2 pears, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, if desired
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Put the greens, pears, walnuts, and cheese into a salad bowl large enough for tossing.
- Mix the first four dressing ingredients together in a bowl. Using a hand mixer on high speed or a wire whisk, slowly drizzle the oil into the dressing until it is the consistency of honey. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix gently. Serve immediately.
- Note: To keep the peeled pears from turning brown, slice them into a small bowl with water that has a tablespoon or two of lemon juice or vinegar added to it. Dry the slices just before use.
This recipe was featured on Season 11 - Episode 1115.