Polenta Sandwiches / Polenta in Carrozza
Polenta is very versatile. When it is cold, it can be sliced and layered into a type of lasagna or used like bread. My favorite way to have it is as a sandwich, stuffed with cheese and ham and then fried in butter. With a salad and a glass of wine, this makes a very satisfying meal.
- 1 recipe Polenta, chilled
- 1/4 pound prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 5 tablespoons butter
- Cut the polenta into 12 slices. Top 6 of the slices with the prosciutto and then the cheese. Top each sandwich with another polenta slice.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Spread the bread crumbs on a plate. Dip both sides of each sandwich in the eggs and then dredge in the bread crumbs to coat both sides. Set the sandwiches aside on a baking sheet to dry slightly.
- In a frying pan, heat the butter. Add the sandwiches and fry on both sides until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.