Radicchio and Pear Salad / Insalata di Radicchio e Pera
Insalate now come in many new guises in Italy, where, in times past, mixed greens or greens with raw vegetables was the acceptable and traditional norm. But isn’t it nice to flirt with tradition and add some new twists? This colorful and refreshingly different radicchio salad would be considered alta cucina (gourmet cooking) on the Italian table.
- 2 ripe Anjou, William, or Bosc pears, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 small heads radicchio, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup broken walnut pieces
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 blood or naval orange, peeled and separated into segments
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola dolce cheese
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Place the pears in a shallow bowl and combine them with the lemon juice. Cover and set aside.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine the radicchio, walnuts, cranberries, and orange segments in a bowl. Pour the dressing over the top and toss well. Add the pears with the lemon juice and toss again.
- Sprinkle the top with the cheese and serve.
- Variation: Dried figs, chopped, instead of cranberries make a nice alternative.
No comments on this recipe.