This is a hard spice cookie that may be dunked in wine or coffee to soften before eating. It will keep for weeks and still be delicious.
- Ingredients2 1/2 cups King Arthur™ Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour2 1/2 cups sugar1 cup almonds, toasted and finely chopped1/4 teaspoon nutmeg1/4 teaspoon cinnamon1/4 teaspoon cloves1/4 teaspoon finely ground white pepper1/2 teaspoon baking sodaZest of 1 orangeZest of 1 lemon1 egg for batter and 1 egg for egg washWater as needed
- DIRECTIONSEgg wash made of 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter or line with parchment paper two large cookie sheets.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients well. Add zest, egg, and just enough water to make a dough that will hold together in a ball. Knead the dough into a smooth ball. Pinch off apricot-sized pieces of dough and roll them under the palms of your hands to make a 3/4-inch thick rope. Then form the rope into a bagel shape. Place on the cookie sheet, leaving a half-inch between cookies. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack and then store in a tightly sealed tin.
This recipe was featured on Season 15 - Episode 1521.