Spicy Chicken / Pollo Arrabbiato
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced pumpkin or butternut squash
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 small hot red peppers cut into strips
- 3 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5 pounds chicken breasts, split and skin removed
- Fine seas salt and coarse black pepper to taste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups pureed fresh tomatoes (1 1/2 pounds ) or canned plum tomatoes
- In a large skillet heat the oil. Add onions, pumpkin, garlic, hot peppers and rosemary, and cook over low heat until the onions are soft and golden brown. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. In batches, add the chicken to the hot skillet, skinned side down and brown well, turning once or twice. Return all the chicken to the pan, add the onion mixture and the wine, and raise the heat to high.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the chicken is easily pierced with a knife. Uncover the pan and cook for 10 minutes longer.
- Transfer the chicken and sauce to a casserole dish, let cool, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, remove bones from the chicken. Return the chicken and sauce to a skillet and heat over medium heat until hot.
No comments on this recipe.