Spinach Salad / Insalata di Spinaci
Spinach is used in many ways in Italian cooking: in rustic pies, in bread, as a filling for stuffed pasta, in gnocchi, and in soup. In Torgiano, it seemed to be part of every meal. Simply steamed and dressed with olive oil, it was served as a vegetable accompaniment. But when combined with paper-thin slices of cheese and mushrooms, it was outstanding as a salad.
- 1 pound fresh spinach, rinsed, dried well, and cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (sliced paper-thin)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/ 4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup paper-thin shavings Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Place the spinach and mushrooms in a salad bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil and balsamic vinegar together. Pour over the salad and toss. Sprinkle on the cheese shavings and toss again. Serve immediately.
No comments on this recipe.