Summertime Eggplant & Sun Dried Tomato Salad / Insalata di Melanzane e Pomodori Sott'Olio
The flavor of this eggplant and sun dried tomato salad only gets more intense as it marinates at room temperature and it is best made several hours before serving. Use small eggplant which have less seeds. Served with crusty bread, this is a perfect and easy summertime dish.
- 4 small eggplant (each aboutinches long)
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, cut into small pieces, and oil reserved
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely minced mint
- Salt to taste
- Grinding black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cubed Ricotta Salata cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly oil 2 baking sheets.
- Trim the stem end of the eggplant and discard. Cut the eggplant into rounds that are 1/4-inch thick and place them in a single layer on the baking sheets. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until the slices are soft and lightly browned. Transfer the slices immediately with a metal spatula to a cutting board and let cool. Then cut the slices crosswise into 2-inch pieces and transfer them to a medium size bowl.
- Add the tomatoes and 1/4 cup of the reserved oil to the bowl with the eggplant. Mix to combine, then stir in the vinegar, garlic, parsley, mint, salt and pepper. Mix well. If the eggplant seems dry, add a couple more tablespoons of olive oil.
- Transfer the mixture to a platter and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Cover and allow the salad to marinate several hours before serving.
This recipe was featured on Season 17 - Episode 1710.
No comments on this recipe.