Sweet Tarts / Tortine Dolci
(Makes two 10-inch pastry shells or multiple tartlet shells)
- 2 cups King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 In a bowl, mix the flours, salt, and sugar. Add the butter and work it in until the mixture is the texture of coarse cornmeal. Add the beaten egg and just enough water to make a pliable dough. Do not over mix. Form the dough into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate forhour or overnight before using.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in the top of a double boiler off the heat until smooth. Whisk in the flour, then the milk. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon. Pour the filling into a bowl and cover with buttered wax paper. Refrigerate several hours sitting the bowl in a larger bowl of ice cubes or overnight.
- Line the tart shells with the pasta frolla. Line the bottom of each tart with a sheet of aluminum foil and then top with pastry marbles. Bake in a preheated 425F oven for 8 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove tart shells to cooling rack. Remove marbles and foil. Let cool completely.
- Divide and fill each tart with the filling. Place an assortment of fresh fruits such as apricots, peaches, cherries, kiwi, over the tarts and glaze with warm apple or currant jelly.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This recipe was featured on Season 14 - Episode 1423.
No comments on this recipe.