Veal Shanks Reggio-Style / Ossobuchi alla Reggiana
Ossobuchi alla Reggiana uses a slow cooking method to achieve very tender meat. I like cooking this in a low temperature oven.
- 1 Ingredientsstick unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 meaty veal shanks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup dry Marsala wine
- Grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, soaked in 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 cups water
- DirectionsPreheat the oven 225°F.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a Dutch-oven-type pot. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is just transparent. Salt and pepper the shanks and add them to the pan and brown them.
- In a small bowl combine the tomato sauce with 1/4 cup of the water and add it to the pan with the veal shanks. Lower the heat and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir in the wine and the remaining water. Cover the pot and place it in the oven for 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Cook the rice in 2 cups of water. Stir in the remaining butter, cheese and the saffron.
- Mound the rice on a platter. Place the shanks on top with their juices and serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Season 14 - Episode 1408.
No comments on this recipe.