Apple Tart / Torta di Mele from Emilia Romagna
Makes One 9-Inch Cake
Some of the things I notice most about the Po Plains are the number of fruit trees along the way, miles and miles of orchards with peach, cherry and apple trees. Maybe that is why Golden Delicious apples are used so often in Emilia Romagna cakes like this one that is unassuming, delicious, and filled with nuts, raisins and apples.
- INGREDIENTS3/4 cup raisins
- 2 large golden delicious apples, cored, peeled and each sliced intowedges
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup King Arthur™ Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 Zest oflarge lemon
- DirectionsButter and flour a 9 1/2 or 10 inch cake pan and set aside.Preheat the oven to 350F.Put the raisins in a small bowl and cover with water. Set aside.In a bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until fluffy and lemon colored. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together and beat into the egg mixture. Beat in the milk. Drain the raisins and fold them into the batter with the nuts and zest. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Arrange the apple wedges on top of the batter, pushing them in slightly. Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve warm.If desired, glaze the cooled cake with melted apple jelly before serving.
This recipe was featured on Season 14 - Episode 1417.