Barley and Porcini ‘Risotto” / Orzotto e Porcini
You can make an interesting “risotto’ using pearled barley. Add vegetables , herbs, or cooked sausage of your choosing to change the taste.
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped leeks
- 2/3 pound (11 ounces) pearled barley
- 1/2 cup diced reconstituted porcini mushrooms ( or 1 cup button mushrooms diced)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups hot chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a two quart heavy duty pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Stir in the leeks and cook them until they wilt. Stir in the barley and cook to coat the barley in the oil; do not let it brown. Stir in the mushrooms and cook 1 minute.
- Add the wine and stir to allow most of it to evaporate. Start adding the broth a laddleful at a time and allow the barley to absorb the liquid before adding more. Cook until the barley is tender. Off the heat stir in the butter and cheese. Add the parsely and serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 20 - Episode 2006.
No comments on this recipe.