Cherries and Plums in Red Wine
MAKES ABOUT A QUART
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 pound cherries, washed and pitted
- 1 pound purple or red plums, washed, cut in half, pitted and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the wine, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, salt, lemon and orange zests in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.
- Combine the cherries and plums in a baking dish and pour the wine sauce over the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or just until the fruits begin to soften, but still hold their shape.
- Serve as is in tall goblets, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or sherbet. Or use as a topping for custard or cornmeal cake. The options are only limited by your imagination!
No comments on this recipe.