Christina's Flour-less Chocolate Cake
This chocolate cake is a favorite of Cristiana Magnani, the friend of Lorenza who is a doctor and came to dinner when we were visiting in Reggio in September of 2002.
It is dense and delicious and Cristiana works out regularly just to manage her sweet tooth and be able to eat this flourless cake. Her husband Franco is retired so he enjoys the fruits of her labor as well. She also makes a mean orange marmalade.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 200 grams sugar (ounces)
- 200 grams unsweetened chocolate in fine pieces (ounces)
- 150 grams of butter (ounces unsalted butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan and line it with greased parchment paper.
- Melt the butter first, then add chopped chocolate until both are incorporated. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a food processor, add 2 egg yolks, then sugar and process until mixture has a lemon color. Add the melted butter with the melted chocolate to the egg/sugar mixture and then process; place this entire mixture in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the 2 egg whites until stiff and add vanilla if using.
- Add stiffened egg whites to the chocolate mixture in the larger bowl and incorporate well. Do this step carefully so that the egg whites are not overly deflated.
- Pour into the prepared pan and place into cold oven. Turn temperature to 350°F.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Cake should rise then fall, resembling a flat brownie. Then refrigerate cake until it is firm. Dust with powdered sugar (optional), cut into pieces. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
- This recipewas originallyfeatured on Season 14 - Episode 1406.
This recipe was featured on Season 26 - Episode 2604.